Friday, May 1, 2009

Cutting my own hair - Chapter 10

Cutting my own hair - Chapter 10

The comb
So I never shut up about clipper combs. I have been the king of the clipper comb for years. I would never even dream of picking up a regular comb to cut your hair, much less mine. I started out just tapering the corners in the front of my head with a #1 snap on guide comb. Then I started moving up the head using a guard with heel pressure to build length. Next it was time to pick up the world famous Andis clipper comb. Of course, for me it would be a white one as I am still mostly dark hair. Grey in the corners and a few scattered here and there, but dark hair. The BIG Andis clipper comb seemed small. Too small. Working on my own head the angles and positions are awkward and new. The comb feels too small and dangerous. Time to step up to bigger. So what did I reach for? It was Flattopper time. Yes. I was to use the old standard flattopper comb. These things are the size of a ping pong paddle. I have had one for years. I used them in the beginning to cut flat tops. I have used them to train others. It is just a monster big comb. Nice big handle. A very safe tool for clipper cutting. Turns out, it is a great tool for use for cutting your own hair. The beige color is great for high contrast. I can see what I am cutting. The other small trick that has paid big dividends in my success and confidence to continue the project has been the #1 clipper guide comb. I have taught for a long time, the idea that beginners should attempt clipper-over-comb with a #1 guard on the clipper, thus moving the cutting action 1/8” away from the surface of the comb. Slows you down, Backs you off a bit. Very forgiving. With a #1 in place on the clipper and a flattopper in the other hand I am tearing it up. Well, not tearing, but clippering away. This combo has made the process safer for me and given me the confidence to go for it.

Below is the link for the flattopper. There is also a link for their “new improved version” the flatliner. I do not like the flatliner as well. Too dark to see hair. Does not feed as well. Handle shape is slippery. Go with the original falttopper.

http://www.amazon.com/Flattopper-Original-with-Level-Beige/dp/B0001B50PI

No comments:

Post a Comment