Friday, December 5, 2008

Inspiration - Final U.K. posting

Inspiration
Travel is inspiring. I can’t believe the wealth of information I took in while in London for the salon International show. The first time I went to London everything was new. There was just too much to see, absorb, process and hope to understand. Last year I was aware of the fact that I was seeing and learning much more because I was able to tune out or disregard much of what was so new the time before. It was as though my vision had improved. I noticed much more likely because there was less to notice more intently and more to be seen by looking. Did that make sense? Basically, I could skip stuff. For instance, the whole idea of driving on the other side of the road. I was over that on my second trip. There was no longer a need to give that any thought. Except, just as you step from the curb. By trip three I was instinctively looking to the proper side to avoid certain death. I am sure there must be a point of diminishing return. Otherwise one would continue to see and learn more right at home in ones own environment. I am sure that is not the case. At some point as you become even more familiar you begin to not look at things, not see new things and not see breaks in the patterns you have come to take for granted. I am also finding myself thinking about how best to retain things I have seen or avoid losing the inspirations I feel. Specifically, as this relates to haircuts. The things I have seen are quite exciting. I saw many haircuts that left me thinking… wow! Why do I not think of these things. I saw not a single haircut that I could not easily duplicate. It is no surprise that my technical skills are at that point. But I saw many haircuts, style ideas and creative application of our art that I would likely never have come up with on my own. I have to identify a way to fuel this mental engine on home turf. I made this basic observation on my first trip and it is even more glaring now. America is positioned as the land of the free, but we are way too tied down to the ideas of others. Hair in America is all about following the trend and the crowd. Women’s hair is about following the current look… Matching to some unattainable ideal. Men’s hair is about just trying not to be different. Be sure not to attract attention. Fit in. We have a lot to learn here. I will be taking more notes and looking for more inspiration.

Acting American

So I did this one haircut on stage at Salon International in London. When I was done I was approached by a woman who introduced herself as a sign language interpreter for a stylist in the crowd. She went on to explain that the stylist wanted to know if I would trim her hair. She was impressed with me and my techniques and wanted a haircut from me. The stylist, through the interpreter asked “are you from the U.S.A.” Without thinking I replied, can’t you tell by my accent?”. Of course she can’t. She cannot hear me. Her reply said it all. The interpreter said, “she said you act American”. I am not sure just how I act American or even what acting American means. I do know that from their perspective it means different and not necessarily better.

No comments:

Post a Comment