Monday, December 1, 2008

In your face in the U.K.

I hope you and your family had a very nice Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

I'm back!

I am still writing about the U.K. show from October. How odd is that? I guess there was a lot going on... plus... all the extra blogging has set me back a bit. After this week... no more U.K. stuff. I promise.

In Your face Education U.K. vs. U.S.A.

The first time I cut on stage in the U.K. it was very strange. In the U.S.A. we like our information and presentation “in your face”. We put it out there with energy and enthusiasm. We holler and yell. We tell people how it is and what to think and buy. In the U.K. this just does not fly. In pro beauty education it is a much softer sell. Over there it is more “show what you know”. There is a sense that “I will not listen to you or do what you say, just because you say it is so”. “I need to know that you have the talent and experience to back it up.” This is a very different way to present and teach. It is a different way to sell. It took me a few trips to figure out where my unique style and talents can find a good fit. This year I think we found that fit. I was able to draw and hold bigger crowds that I had done in prior years. I had attendees asking questions more so than in the past. I even had the post-presentation autograph seekers that I had not gathered at the U.K. show before. Who says that I am not trainable? Old dogs, new tricks.

Links I like:
This is the web site for London U.K. I will shut up about it. You go there for yourself now:
http://www.visitlondon.com/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=us_ol_sem_0101029&gclid=CPChgrDZn5cCFQ7aDAodbiidJA

Cant go to London w/o a tube map:
http://www.afn.org/~alplatt/tube.html

Wow. This is cool. This is the official web site of the British monarchy: How cool is this? My monarchy will have a web site too!
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page1.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment