Monday, August 1, 2011

The Oprah Effect

The Oprah Effect on Andis… Contributed by guest blogger - Andis Educator Rodrick Samuels

While attending 51st Annual Palmetto Barbers Convention, I was distracted from conversing with someone by a great fluster of commotion around the corner where a large crowd was gathering.

Now, I have had my fair share of well-known Barber and Beauty personalities in one place in my life, and their presence seemed to be no really big deal for the hundreds of industry people in attendance. So, I could not imagine who was creating this kind of excitement. To try to get a glimpse of who it was, I perched myself up on a small platform supporting a large decorative tree.

And then I saw Oprah Winfrey’s Father, Vernon Winfrey and his wife surrounded by a large number of barbers, stylist, photographers and video cameras.

The tall and thin former soldier and former Nashville Metro Councilman whose world—famous daughter, queen of talk show television Oprah Winfrey, credits for being a tough disciplinarian during her formative years, is modest in his tastes and brimming with energy, despite some recent health woes. In a conversation that he had with Andis Educator Jaye Da Barber and me, “I love what I do for a living.”

Later that evening as we were preparing to walk the red carpet, to the Black Tie Dinner, I stood next to Mr. Winfrey and saw that he was adjusting his tie. I helped him out and also explained to him what Jaye (Jaye Da Barber) and I were doing at the conference. He is a very big Andis clipper fan and Jaye actually gave him a shave using the Andis Pro-Foil Shaver in which he (Vernon Winfrey) as amazed! Both Jaye and I squeezed next to Mr. Winfrey, who was smiling for the cameras. Thus, I was presented with an opportunity to take a picture (and speak with him) at extremely close range. So, I put my arm around him as the cameras flashed and wondered if Jaye and I would be on the front cover of The National Enquirer the following week.

3 comments:

  1. What an awesome testimonial. How fun for the Andis educators and all who witnessed. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was A Great Time I love what we do Andis! or Go Home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This meeting was truly an honor for both myself and Jaye Da Barber. We live, breath and eat Andis all Day!

    ReplyDelete