Friday, January 9, 2009

Clipper Business Tip - Week #6

Every Wednesday in the Andis blog I share another weeks business tip. There are 52 weeks of tips to apply to your business. I call it Ivan Zoot's 52 week road map to barbering greatness. We are on week six. Go back to week one if you wish to start your year off at the beginning.

Week #6
Mind the Messages

Be aware of the radio station and the television channel that you broadcast in the shop. Are the messages and images you are exposing your clients to in keeping with the mood and feel of the business you are trying to build? Is the radio playing ads for other haircutting businesses? Is the television program in conflict with the values and temperaments of the clients you wish to retain? Is that magazine cover displaying an image that is appropriate for ALL of your traffic? Be sure that the messages that you support are supporting the growth of your business.

I do not know if there is much more to say on this one. They are decisions that you must make. You must make them. Do not be swayed by the opinions of your staff. The radio is not for them. I have heard all too many times a hair cutter claim that they spend 8 hours in the shop and the radio is for them. NOT! The radio is for clients. You WORK here.

In a 2 team town you need to be very careful about team alliances. I am a north sider and a Cubs fan. We do have Sox fans in our area and clients can be pretty passionate about this stuff. If I were to hang a Cubs banner in my shop... I would be sure to have a Sox one somewhere too. The Sox one would be much smaller and on the back of the bathroom door, but it would be there. ;)

Not every one appreciates country music to the extent that I do. I just might have to pass on some of the twang I love in the interest of crowd building. You might as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment